Friday, September 9, 2011

Venice, Athens & Greek Islands – Aug 19 to Sept 3

~Venice~
I spent three nights in Venice – what a magnificent city. The number of tourists is mental. On our first day, we arrived early afternoon so after a dip in the pool to relieve us from the 38C temperatures, we headed into town. WOW!  For our entire stay, we wandered through the city with one aim... to get lost – it was amazing! On our last day, we decided to spend it by the pool to relax. For a few hours, I can’t say I was relaxed however. Every 30 minutes or so, a very annoying and persistent Italian man keep coming over insisting I stay in Venice with him! Luckily, Claudia caught the attention of a Romanian guy who joined us with two of his friends, so after a short time, thankfully the sleaze bag didn’t return.

~Athens~
I stayed overnight in Rome (didn’t see anything) then flew to Athens the following morning. What a surprise Athens was!! So very dirty and seedy. I am glad I treated myself to two nights at the Novotel (love Wotif and the last minute deals). Although, the area south of the hotel was horrid... eg people shooting up in the street... It was for this reason, I didn’t venture out at night during my stay – as recommended by reception. The historic region however, was spectacular as you would expect and the Acropolis... wow!!


~Greek Islands, Mykonos, Paros, Santorini, Ios~

Early on August 25th, I made my way to Piraeus, Athens. I met up with the group for the Greek Islands Hopper. The first ferry was a long one to Mykonos, 6 hours. Seeing the first islands in passing, I was surprised to see how arid it was. Mykonos was extremely windy as its one of the most unprotected in the Cyclades, so it’s no wonder there’s no trees on it. Our accommodation was on the beach that was lined cliff to cliff in restaurants, bars & clubs.  
  
After a couple of hours swimming, we met up for the walking tour in the town. Along the way, we heard tales of Greek mythology, legends and debauchery. Dinner was lovely and we were joined by Petros the famous Pelican. The night continued into the night with numerous cocktails at various bars in and around the village. A late night for me these days is 2am so I didn’t dare continue drinking on the beach like some of the others. The party runs almost 24hrs and the beach at night known to turn 'X' rated! To think there are a few families staying here – not a well researched family vacation!


A nice relaxing day followed in Mykonos, a visit into the village then back to the beach... but not before I slathered myself in sunscreen. The beach was beautiful, 6euro for a sun bed, but there are ways around these things J . A relaxed dinner then drinks and games on the beach.

A morning ferry to Paros and being a very windy day and a smaller boat, the majority of the group were very unwell. We stayed at a cute little place, but the Greek/Irish lady although small and petite had the foulest mouth I’ve EVER heard. I think she does it for the shock value. When we arrived, we were greeted by her hanging over the balcony yelling... ‘What the F are you C’s doing here?’ But then one on one, she was very sweet. Interesting woman. After a few hours of free time, we met up to head out of town for a swim and dinner Krisos Beach Bar.

The beach was nothing compared to Mykonos but the sun beds with material covered cushions and curtains were a novelty! Dinner was great, not just for the Greek food, but the plate breaking and Greek dancing – such great fun! Most people had a relatively quiet night (despite the 5E cocktails) as we all need to rest up for the following day!

Our second day in Paros is one that most people had been looking forward... a day on a private boat sailing around Antiparos, stopping regularly swimming in pristine waters, snorkling into caves, bbq on a private beach.. We all had high expectations of the day, and all expectations were well and truly surpassed.

It’s now August 28th, and now off to Santorini. This is the picture perfect island that everyone (including me) associates with the Greek Islands. Our welcome night to Santorini didn’t disappoint, a beautiful meal on the cliff edge watching the sunset over the volcano on the nearby island.

The following morning, the majority of the group loaded onto the bus to see the sights of Santorini: The monastery on Mt Profiti Ilia, Perissa (The black beach with waiter ‘call’ buttons on the umbrellas – brilliant), Red Beach, Akrotiri (maybe the lost city of Atlantis?!?), the Red Beach and then the Santo Winery.

    
A quick stop back at the Hotel to freshen up then head to Oia for a sunset picnic. Its a public viewing point and all the visitors were watching very closely as the guide put all the food and booze out. One person came straight up and started helping herself. Someone from our group yelled 'Stranger Danger' (as you do) and she left pretty quickly after that.
 
Words can’t describe how amazing the views and sunset was – if you think the photos have been modified, they have not (wouldn’t know how to) and they don’t even come close to what we saw. 
 
 
Sadly, we had to leave Santorini for  Ios – why oh why didn’t I book a longer stay in Santorini???

We arrived in Ios, the party island... to the ‘Far Out Resort’. Beach front location and 2 swimming pools, bars, hammocks etc etc. Ok, not too shabby! J

Dinner at the resort before heading into town at 10pm for a few drinks before my ‘intended’ retreat to the resort on the last bus at 12.


After a great night of dancing, cocktails, attacked by a woman with fluoro paint (as did everyone else eventually - I got off lightly), dancing, shots etc etc.. I and the only two others left, thought we should head home as it was getting late. Lucky for us the sun was coming up on the walk back to the resort otherwise we would have tripped on the steep and extremely uneven path down the cliff to the resort. Jumped into bed at 7,30am fully clothed to save time having to dress at 9,30am when I needed to leave for the port to collect my iPod that I left on the ferry the day before. Lucky I had enough sense to wash off the fluoro yellow paint the night before in the club! By 1pm, I was finally back and napped for an hour before heading to the pool! When I headed back to the bungalow to get ready for dinner, I was met by my 19yo roommate... Let the 20 questions begin! Her final comment was ‘Wow... that’s impressive! The old girl can still party!’ I just laughed!

Already, it’s the final night of the trip – hard to believe. I’ve met so many amazing people! Unfortunately however, my yearning for bed wasn’t waning regardless of the fun and cheap cocktails. I bailed at 1am, not too bad for ‘an old girl’!

We returned to Athens and had an early and low key dinner nearby the hostel with the group that was staying at the hostel and then off to bed. What an amazing 9 days!!!!!!!!!


Stay tuned for the next instalment... Rome, Florence & Cinque Terre!

Ciao xox


 

No comments:

Post a Comment