Monday, October 3, 2011

Rome, Florence & Cinque Terre – Sept 3 to Sept 13

~Rome~ 

A warm welcome by the NZ Trio (Anna, Fi & James) with drinks and nibbles! It was like catching up with old friends even though I only met some a month ago. We caught up on what everyone had been doing for the last few weeks over dinner and drinks! They left the following morning but I will be meeting up with them in Cinque Terre and travelling with them for the last month of the trip. 


When I headed into Rome (after 1 very relaxing day by the pool), I walked along the same path as the NZ trio had done during their walking tour. I visited all the standard sights... Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Roman Forum etc. I won’t bore you too much with the details as I’m sure you’ve all seen Angels & Demons and the Gladiator – if you don’t remember your history from high school. 


The following day, there was a public service strike so it meant all government businesses, attractions and transportation were closed, so we made the most of the camp shuttle to take us to the Vatican. The French couple staying next door had the same plan so it was nice to get to know them a little better. 

Everything about the Vatican reminds you how much money and power they once had.. its all so elaborate. I was blown away by the artwork on the walls and ceiling in the hallway leading into the Sistine chapel.. and the SC – beyond words!! Did you know.. A Japanese television company owns the rights to all photos of the Sistine Chapel as a result of them paying for the cleaning and restoration of the chapel. It is for this reason and no other that photos are not permitted. Did I sneak some photos in there? You’ll never know!



My last full day in Rome was at the Colosseum, Palatine Hill & the Roman Forum. One thing that astonishes me.. why on earth would you line up for hours at the colosseum when you can walk 200 metres to Palatine Hill and get your ticket for both in 20 minutes.. that’ll serve them right for not looking at a tourist book or googling the attractions.

An amazing day, with the exception of the stomach turning gory details of the roman history at each attraction! 




~Florence~
September 8th and I was off to Florence.. when we arrived we met for a brief walking tour followed by a leather demonstration on how to tell fake from real then off to dinner as a group.

The following day, I got an email from my oldest brother David telling me that he will be in Barcelona for work on the same dates I will be.. as an added bonus, I also get to celebrate his 40th birthday with him! SO very excited! 


I went to the Accademia Museum to see the original statue of Michelangelos ‘David’ – carved from a block of marble measuring 4 meters in height. Thank goodness the statue makes no resemblance to my brother otherwise I'd have a hard time looking at it - let alone appreciating the intricacies of the carved marble!!!


Michaelangelo was quoted saying ‘I don’t carve a sculpture, the sculpture is already inside the marble, I just chip away what is not needed’. (Photo is of the exact replica where the original stood before it was moved to the museum- photos of the original is not permitted... I obeyed the rules in this instance).


I hit the pavement a fellow traveller I met in Paris at the beginning of the trip.. We visited all of the cities sights (its not hard as the city is quite small); Chruch of Santo Croce (where Michelanglos remains lay), Ponte Vecchio (photo), Piazza Strozzi where I literally ran into an American celebrity whos name completely escapes me, Cathedral Maria, the Duomo, Town Hall with the fake David and many other original sculptures. Florence is lovely, glad I didn’t have more than 3 nights here though.. even as it was, i felt rested when I left. 



~Cinque Terre~

Now its September 11th and I’m headed to LaSpezia (via Pisa), the gateway to Cinque Terre (5 Villages). 



I caught the train to the 3rd village Corniglia where Anna, James & Fi are staying (the NZ Trio). To get to the village from the train, there is either a shuttle or climb 380+ stairs... Given I was loaded with my 23kg backpack, I decided to take the bus – who wouldn’t?!? Glitch was that the shuttle left as we were leaving the platform – no wonder everyone was pushing and shoving. So, rather than waiting another hour for the next shuttle – up the stairs I went.
When I arrived, I instantly wished I had more than 2 nights here as it is the most spectacular place I’ve seen.  Even as I write this, so close to the end of my trip - Cinque Terre is still one of my favourite places I've visited. 



After a drink and catch up, Anna and I had a quick dinner before our mission for the evening... climb down the stairs to the beach to set up champagne, glasses, towel and candle for James where he was to propose to Fi shortly thereafter. Quickly we climbed the stairs but we were too slow – James and Fi met us half way. Luckily, Fi was none the wiser. When they returned to the apartment, the celebrations commenced. 





The following morning was a relaxed start.. then we were off to explore the different villages.
1. Riomaggiore            2. Manorola
4. Vernazza                5. Monterosa

I walked from village 1 to 2 then trained between the rest of the villages. If I was there for longer, I would have definitely walked the length, but as it was, I didn’t return to Corniglia until after 6pm. A great home cooked meal and wine on the terrace to watch the sun set was a magnificent way to round out our time in this magical place.


After dinner we ventured off to get our last dose of Gelato.. the man serving told me that I was very beautiful and so sweet.. oh shucks! Caught completely by surprise, I got embarrassed and blushed... What am I.. 12??? ha ha

The next morning we were packing up and on the move again. I am coming back here again, that's for sure!!!!



The next installment is written and photos selected, so it will be posted within 24 hours (pending uninterrupted internet access). 

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment